Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Focus

In Psalm 46:10 God commands us to "Be still and know that I am God".  I can do it for about 7.5 seconds and suddenly, my mind is racing to something else and something else after that. I desire to spend time with the Lord, I really do. I yearn to put myself in a state of solitude before Him but even though I am quiet on the outside, my inner spirit is racing.  It is a daunting task to even get a coherent prayer on the table sometimes. When I suddenly become aware that this is happening, I feel guilty or abandon the effort donning an excuse of too much on my mind. I can picture God holding out His hand and saying, "Hey, wait a minute, come back, don't give up... I wanted to talk to you." Oh, how I wish He would use an audible voice to break through the noise in my head.   Why do I struggle with this lack of focus?

There are periods of time, mostly when I am in an organized Bible Study with homework, that I keep a prayer journal and actually pray through it. I so admire my precious friends who are prayer warriors. "God is who He says He is. God can do what He says He can do. I am who God says I am. I can do all things through Christ. Gods' word is alive and active in me." This was our pledge of faith in the Beth Moore Bible Study, "Believing God". Boy, did I need that reminder!

One of the things we learned in this study was that our promised land is a place of conquest, a place where God brings forth great harvest, a place of unapologetic blessing to the obedient.  Our promise lands are places of great victory over our enemy.  God does speak to us. I need a daily reminder that scripture is always the best place to look for answers.  The enemy wants my focus on anything....except God.  If I want to sit quietly in my promised land, it appears that I need a great victory in this conquest over the one who plots to steal my focus. God has promised to drive out my enemies before me. (read Joshua 3:10).  Well, alright then! What amazes me is ...when I take a few minutes to focus even by writing, He answers my question.  Thanks God, for reminding me that your Word is your voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment